Since formal acquisition in 2007, on-ground conservation programs have commenced at Wongalara. AWC’s key management priorities at the sanctuary include:
- Biological surveys and monitoring;
- Fire management;
- Feral animal control (buffalo, donkeys, wild pigs and feral cats);
- Weed control, particularly removal of gamba grass and win cassia;
- Field-based research on key issues affecting biodiversity; and
- Infrastructure maintenance, particularly roads and fences for the management of stock and provision of access for fire management.