“The next 10 – 20 years are critical. If we don’t act decisively now, many of Australia’s unique animal species will disappear forever. Working Australians can make a real impact on the future of our wildlife by donating to AWC through their workplace giving programs.”
- Dr Sarah Legge
What is workplace giving?
Workplace giving is a simple and effective way for employees to donate to AWC on a regular basis.
If you choose to support AWC through a workplace giving program, your employer will deduct your specified donation from each pay and then forward your donation direct to AWC, along with any donations made by other staff at your workplace.
What are the benefits of workplace giving programs?
- All donations to AWC through workplace giving are tax deductible.
- Your employer may reduce the amount of tax that is taken out of your pay in recognition of your donations. So you may see the tax benefits of workplace giving immediately!
- The advantage of formal workplace giving programs is that the charity – in this case, AWC - receives regular income but does not have to issue individual receipts for each donation. This saves time and money so the charity incurs little or no administration costs and 100% of donations go directly to the charity.
How do I set up a workplace giving program at my work?
To set up a formal workplace giving program you should talk to the relevant person in your organisation (normally the head of human resources or sponsorship). This would involve the following steps:
- Identifying a group of staff members who are interested in the environment and who may wish to support AWC. We can assist by providing promotional literature on AWC and visiting your workplace to give a presentation on our work.
- Each staff member who wishes to make a regular donation to AWC then needs to sign a letter authorising the payroll office to deduct a specified amount from each pay. AWC can provide a pro forma letter. The amount deducted will be sent by the payroll office direct to AWC.
- AWC will liaise closely with your payroll office to assist in the establishment of the giving program.
For further information about workplace giving and how to set up a workplace giving program, please contact us.
Detailed information on workplace giving is also available on the Australian Taxation Office website.