~ A unique opportunity to help shape the future of private sector conservation in the Kimberley ~
Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) is the largest private (non-profit) owner of land for conservation in Australia, protecting endangered wildlife at30sanctuaries in which we own or manage in partnership, covering a total of more than 6.5 million hectares in iconic regions such as the Kimberley, Cape York, the Top End and Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre. With a focus on practical land management, informed by world-class science, AWC is implementing a dynamic new model for conservation.
AWC’s mission - to deliver effective conservation for all native animal species and their habitats.
AWC is looking for a small team of dynamic people with experience in hospitality to facilitate the operation of the renowned Mornington Wilderness Camp (MWC). MWC is one of the Kimberley’s highest rated destinations, known worldwide for its scenery (sandstone escarpments, ancient gorges and vast savanna woodlands), its wildlife (Gouldian Finches are one of 200 bird species) and the integration with a working conservation project. Attracting 4,500 visitors each year, MWC offers safari tent accommodation, 60 capacity campground, a licensed bush restaurant and a range of tours/interpretative products.
Based at MWC, this is a stunning opportunity to be a part of the continued success of an iconic wilderness camp which contributes substantially to the success of Australia’s most effective conservation organisation. All proceeds from our Kimberley Wilderness Camps are invested in the conservation of AWC’s Kimberley properties. Your success in this role will mean more revenue to invest in the conservation of threatened species such as the Gouldian Finch and the Northern Quoll and greater public awareness about AWC and the plight of Australia’s wildlife.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly motivated, professional and hands-on Head Chef to join our hospitality team in the delivery of outstanding visitor experiences at AWC’s award-winning Mornington Wilderness Camp (MWC) in the heart of the Kimberley, Western Australia.
You will require:
- Superior cooking skills to produce a high-end, memorable dining experience for guests.
- A passion for food which is demonstrated in the creativity and flair you apply to the delivery of your food and presentation.
- An ability to create a Modern Australian menu that is innovative, seasonal and cost effective, without compromising on quality.
- A sophisticated understanding of ingredients and produce.
- The ability to execute food orders to ensure cost-effective food purchasing and ensure all orders are within budget.
- Strong attention to detail.
- An ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, management and communication skills.
- The skills to motivate your team and create an amazing experience for our clientele.
- A sense of adventure! Your experience living and working in a remote environment will be well regarded (but is not essential).
In addition to experience in hospitality, you will have a good track record of providing quality outcomes, as well as excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills. A strong work ethic and a high degree of flexibility is necessary, as you will be supporting and working with a diverse range of staff. Applicants should have a background or interest in wildlife conservation and eco-tourism practices and be comfortable living and working in a remote location as part of a small team.
This is a unique opportunity to join Australia’s largest non-government conservation organisation and help shape the future of private sector conservation in Australia. The remuneration offer includes in addition to salary, basic single share accommodation.
Chloe Kobel, Wilderness Camp Manager | Chloe.Kobel@australianwildlife.org or;
Fiona Tran, HR Advisor | Fiona.Tran@australianwildlife.org
To submit an application, visit our careers page (linked above), select the relevant job vacancy, click ‘APPLY’ and follow the prompts.
Your application must include CV and covering letter, briefly addressing your experience, critical competencies, and interest in the role. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 24 January 2021
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or have a suitable visa in place that allows ongoing full-time work in Australia, in order to apply for this position. Sponsorship is not available.
- If you apply for this role, AWC will include you in its ongoing updates and communications about its events, activities and fundraising initiatives. You may opt out of these communications at any time.
To learn more about AWC’s sanctuaries, please visit our website www.australianwildlife.org/sanctuaries/