~ Use Your Professional Skills to Save Endangered Species ~
Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) is the largest private (non-profit) owner of land for conservation in Australia. We protect endangered wildlife at 30 locations which we own or manage in collaborative partnerships. AWC’s involvement covers a total of more than 6.5 million hectares in iconic regions such as the Kimberley, Cape York, the Top End and Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre. With a focus on practical land management, informed by world-class science, AWC is implementing a dynamic new model for conservation.
Four of these sanctuaries- Karakamia, Paruna, Faure Island and Mount Gibson- occur in southwestern Australia, an internationally recognised "biodiversity hotspot". These sanctuaries are home to an internationally significant mammal reintroduction project involving species such as Woylies, Black-flanked Rock-wallabies and Western Barred Bandicoots.
AWC is seeking casual guides to join a passionate team to undertake guided nocturnal walks at Karakamia Wildlife Sanctuary. Located in the hills east of Perth WA, the sanctuary is surrounded by a feral-proof fence and provides a vital refuge to several threatened species.
The successful candidates will have excellent communication skills and an appropriate environmental education, with additional on-ground training or experience being highly desirable. You will be extremely organised, experienced in providing interesting and innovative tours to a wide variety of visitors, and comfortable working alone or as part of a team as required. It is essential to be comfortable with public speaking, that you are fit and active, and have a background or keen interest in nature conservation.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking guided nocturnal spotlighting walks.
- Cleaning and upkeep of the visitor facilities including the visitor centre, toilets and walk trails.
- Accurate handling and accounting of walk fees.
- Assisting with existing, and further development of, an exciting and innovative interpretative program for visitors to Karakamia.
This is a unique opportunity to join Australia’s largest non-government conservation organisation and help shape the future of private sector conservation in Australia.
Fiona Tran, HR Advisor | Fiona.Tran@australianwildlife.org
Applications via: australianwildlife.org/work-with-awc/careers/
To submit an application, visit our careers page (linked above), select the relevant job vacancy, click ‘APPLY’ and follow the prompts to complete an application form.
Your application must include CV and covering letter, briefly addressing the skills and experience listed. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 9 May 2021
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or have a suitable visa in place that allows ongoing full-time work in Australia, in order to apply for this position. Sponsorship is not available.
- If you apply for this role, AWC will include you in its ongoing updates and communications about its events, activities and fundraising initiatives. You may opt out of these communications at any time.
To learn more about AWC’s sanctuaries, please visit our website www.australianwildlife.org/sanctuaries/