The traditional owners of Newhaven are the Ngaliya (southern Warlpiri) people. In 1959 Newhaven became a pastoral property, initially for sheep, but soon after converted to cattle grazing. The property was relatively lightly stocked, and equipped with around 15 bores during the period from 1959 to 2000. Birdlife Australia (previously Birds Australia) purchased Newhaven in 2000 with assistance from the Commonwealth Governments National Reserve System grant scheme, with the intention of managing the property for biodiversity conservation. In 2006 the Australian Wildlife Conservancy became the leading partner in co-management of Newhaven with Birdlife Australia.