Applications for the 2018 Ecology & Conservation Intern Program are now open.
AWC offers opportunities for promising graduate students to gain valuable field experience in conservation research via its Internship Program.
In 2018, AWC will offer a total of ten internships, of 4 ½ - 6 months duration, across its network of sanctuaries. Each internship has been designed to provide an exciting training program designed to introduce conservation biologists to a variety of sanctuaries with a host of different ecosystems, flora and fauna, field techniques, and conservation issues.
The internships provide a modest living stipend for the duration of the program, plus travel assistance.
Successful interns may be offered one of two intakes (dates noted in the Internship program below.)
The intern will be mentored by a team of experienced ecologists, who will provide on-going assessment throughout the training program. At the end of the training program, the intern's progress will be evaluated, and an assessment report provided.
Required skills include:
- A Bachelor degree with Honours (or equivalent experience) in an ecology/conservation program (e.g. BSc Hons).
- Demonstrated commitment to wildlife conservation beyond academic pursuits.
- Fauna and/or flora survey experience (including identification)
- Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote areas (including extended periods camping in the field whilst undertaking surveys) with small groups of people.
- Demonstrated capacity to diligently collect and manage data.
- Physically capable to undertake strenuous fieldwork and possessing a high level of fitness.
- Preparedness and capacity to follow OHS and animal ethics procedures.
- Must be able to conduct fieldwork for extended hours, including night time work.
- Valid manual Australian (or internationally recognised) drivers’ licence.
- Fluency in English.
- Internships are open to all applicants with the right to train/work in Australia (appropriate visa, permanent residency etc), though noting key criteria is an understanding of Australian flora and fauna.
For more information about the program and details on how to apply, please click on the link below.
Science Graduate Internship Opportunities
Interpretation Officer Internship - Yookamurra Wildlife Sanctuary - 2017/18 Program closed
Currently AWC has two x three month internships available, each with an exciting training program designed to introduce graduates with an interest in conservation education, environmental interpretations, and community engagement to a variety of sanctuaries with a host of different ecosystems, flora and fauna, field techniques, and conservation issues.
Dates of internship: 1st intake – Monday 14th August to Monday 13th November 2017, 2nd intake – Monday 12th March to Monday 11th June 2018.
|Position:||Ecology & Conservation Internship|
|Based at:||Various AWC Sanctuaries|
|Enquiries:||Listed in "How to apply" section|
|Closing Date:||Applications received by 23 October 2017|